Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Arctic Man


It was the late 90s and, love-struck, I had moved to Turku, Finland to be with my then-boyfriend while he wrote his thesis.

Before I left Australia, an older lady I knew mentioned that her son Trevor was planning to visit Finland. Politely, I handed over my Finnish contact details, never for a moment imagining that Trevor would actually call me.

He did call me. Not only did he call me, but a matter of weeks later he turned up on our wintery Turku doorstep.

He was a sight to behold. Tall, padded out like the Michelin man, and with no part of his body visible except his eyes, he had dressed for the elements.

As he started peeling off layers in the warmth of our apartment, he proudly divulged the reason he was so thoroughly protected against the cold. When clothes shopping for his Finland trip, he hadn’t wanted to trust the people at North Face or Kathmandu who had tried to sell him GoreTex. He did not believe that any ordinary clothes could possibly withstand the extreme cold of a Finnish winter. He decided to take matters into his own hands. He ordered a tailor-made bodysuit made entirely of sheepskin, complete with slit-eyed balaclava, booties, and oven-mitt-type gloves. His idea was that at all times he would wear this under his normal clothes, rendering him impervious to the coldest of temperatures.

(I later wondered, had he worn all that stuff during the entire flight from Australia? or had he schlepped it all on board in a huge carry-on bag and effected his Trevor-to-Arctic-Man transformation within the cramped confines of a Finnair toilet cubicle?)

Sadly for Trevor, Finland had a pretty mild winter that year. It was barely below zero the day he landed. By the time he made it to our door, he was sweaty and breathless.

And so his stay in Finland began.

The second day, I offered to show him around Turku. He obligingly walked around with me, but seemed bored and distracted. The third day, when I again offered to be his tour guide, he flatly refused. “I’m not really interested in sight-seeing”, he said, and proceeded to spend the entire day sitting at our kitchen table, intermittently reading a manual on motorcycle repair, and expounding his theories on life (which included: why watch the news -- who needs to know what is going on in the rest of the world? And: never eat sugar, because it is evil. He was ahead of his time on that one). It turned out that he was a taxi driver. Somehow, this fitted perfectly. He struck me as someone who had spent an awful lot of time with his own thoughts.

My Finn and I asked each other in whispers why on earth he had come to Finland if not to take a look around? We were baffled, not to mention just a teensy bit worried at the thought of just how many days he might want to spend within the four corners of our apartment.

On the fourth day, we were relieved when Trevor announced that he was going to Helsinki. We were puzzled, though – he had, after all, confessed to a complete lack of interest in being a tourist.

And then, shyly, he revealed his big news. He had come to Finland to meet a woman. 
To be more specific, he had come to Finland to find a wife.

He had done some diligent groundwork: he had placed advertisements in a few major newspapers, and four or five Marjas and Katjas had actually expressed interest.

“Why Finland?” we asked him. 

He smiled with unmistakable satisfaction – clearly, he had thought carefully about this and was dying to share his rationale. 

“Because Finnish women are the only pure women left in this world.” 

Three weeks after embarking on his quest, Trevor phoned me – to invite us to his wedding. Another three weeks later, I watched him walk down the aisle with his new bride on his arm. It was all a bit surreal.

He told me after the ceremony that he’d worn long underwear under his wedding clothes. 

Disappointingly, though, not his sheepskin bodysuit.

9 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!!!! I'm shell-shocked he he he...that was a very quick wedding, but I'm glad that he didn't come all the way here for nothing then. :-D What a story! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worries me that I have judged a man based upon a few paragraphs but I have to say, I feel rather sorry for his wife. He sounds like the sort of man that would be very difficult to live with. I feel doubly sorry for her if he's from an outback town. A small minded man in a small town, ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does the story end? Or, rather, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was a character, that's for sure. I have never met anyone quite like him. Anonymous, I wish I could tell you, but I never heard from Trevor again after he left Finland. I like to think that he and his new wife took the sheepskin suit back to the tailor and had several pairs of ugg-boots made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh jings! Just when I think I can't be surprised by human behaviour... Weird! But it makes for a good tale Katriina - and you tell it well. Yx

    ReplyDelete
  6. 私密視訊聊天室
    內衣秀全透明秀視訊聊天室
    mfc視訊聊天室
    直播間視訊聊天室
    約炮視訊聊天室
    賣肉視訊聊天室
    老司機視訊聊天室
    愛愛視訊聊天室
    祼女視訊聊天室
    性直播視訊聊天室
    yy裸聊直播頻道美女主播性感熱舞視頻成人秀色秀場直播間女性成人玩具用法小惡魔論壇
    yy裸聊同城聊天韓國美女主播視頻誘惑廣場舞火約愛單身約愛約愛網站歡樂魚訊論壇
    全程yy裸聊免費性感韓國美女主播視頻午夜直播間約愛神器靠譜嗎微信約愛正妹論壇
    57娛樂多人視頻美女主播熱舞視頻成人秀場無限制直播間女性器具的用法圖片男人幫論壇網址
    女主播全裸爆乳玩裸聊免費的成人午夜劇場同城炮床友交友網裸聊室同城床友交友伊利論壇

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6699影音視訊聊天室
    6699影音視訊聊天室
    台灣辣妹視訊聊天室
    台灣辣妹視訊聊天室
    台灣免費裸聊視訊聊天室
    台灣免費裸聊視訊聊天室
    台灣辣妹影音視訊聊天室
    台灣辣妹影音視訊聊天室
    真愛旅舍午夜福利聊天室
    真愛旅舍午夜福利視頻聊天室
    美女QQ聊天視頻午夜聊天交友社區夜間寂寞裸聊聊天室短裙長腿美女模特台灣甜心視訊聊天網
    美女視頻表演的QQ同城一夜交友網站免費寂寞交友聊天室性感齊b短裙美女圖uthome視訊聊天網
    性感比基尼美女視頻富婆找男人俱樂部寂寞同城聊天室性感長腿美女寫真圖片ut免費視訊聊天網
    美女視頻直播同城交友找情人約炮網寂寞男女聊天室美女寂寞聊天電話號碼 uthome視訊
    美女跳舞視頻網站真人視頻聊天同城交友同城一夜i情交友室午夜美女聊天qquthome免費視訊美女

    ReplyDelete