Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas memory

"Things I Want To Tell My Mother" is running a competition, inviting readers to submit a 100-word memory of a Christmas moment spent with their mother or grandmother. My mother always made Christmas such a special time for us that I felt compelled to write my own vignette.

Here it is:

It was Christmas Eve. 

The house was spotless, the Christmas tree glittering magically, the air fragrant with Christmas baking, and my siblings and I were delirious with anticipation--tiny pyjama-ed elves, shrieking excitedly and bouncing off the walls.


Mum sat down at the piano and started playing carols. We clustered around her and sang. We sang with discordant innocence; with our whole beings; not understanding the words but feeling their magic anyway. All was calm, all was bright, and our hearts were full. 

Mum’s eyes were filled with tears that I didn't understand at the time.


Now I understand, Mum.


3 comments:

  1. Your Mum and my Mom could have been great friends.

    Thanks for sending this, Katrina. It is now entered in the contest.
    Marylin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your memory. Christmas can be bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Marylin and Rose, for taking the time to stop by for a read!

    ReplyDelete